Redflow energy storage in Agriculture
Energy storage has combined with renewable energy generation – primarily solar – in farms across Australia to reduce reliance upon unreliable electricity grids, to reduce diesel consumption and emissions and to reduce costs.
Increasingly Redflow’s zinc-bromine flow batteries are employed in rural applications across Australia with energy storage capacities as large as 600 kilowatt-hours (kWh) to provide primary producers with energy independence.
Redflow is an Australian ASX-listed company that has developed, manufactures and markets an innovative, environmentally sustainable 10 kWh zinc-bromine flow battery. This battery is unique in that it can be fully charged and discharged every day without adversely affecting its energy storage capacity, as occurs with other chemistries. This means Redflow-based energy storage systems do not need to be built oversized to cope with battery degradation.
The Redflow battery is also well suited to Australian conditions as it can operate at internal temperatures as hot as 50 degrees Celsius (122 F) without the need for active air-conditioning. The Redflow electrolyte is based on bromine, which is used as a fire retardant, so there is no risk of runaway thermal events or uncontained fires, which can occur with other battery chemistries. Redflow also has a positive environmental story as its components can be easily reused or recycled.
Redflow batteries have a growing market in the Australian agricultural sector, where customers need a reliable, daily supply of stored energy and the lack of degradation to deliver cost-effective energy storage throughout the life of a renewable energy project without the environmental risks of other batteries. Benefits of Redflow zinc-bromine flow batteries include:
- Flow chemistry is like a reversible electroplating process
- Unlike conventional batteries, Redflow batteries can repeatedly use 100% of their energy capacity and run flat – incurring no damage!
- Excellent tolerance for high ambient temperatures without external cooling
- World’s most compact flow battery; its modular design enables scalability – 10kWh to MWh!
- Smart battery including Battery Management System (BMS) with remote monitoring and diagnostics
- Sustainable: Reusable electrolyte, recyclable HOPE plastic, non-toxic materials, no conflict minerals
- Built-in battery self-protection features
- 10 years or 36.5 MWh throughput warranty
- Not susceptible to thermal runaway or sustaining fire.
Redflow in Agriculture: More resources
Off-grid WA orchard beats bushfire blackouts with Redflow batteries More details
WA stockfeed company installs 600 kWh Redflow Large Scale Battery to slash energy costs More details
Queensland home on station near Roma sets residential record More details
Victorian partner Seven20 Electrical sends first Redflow six-pack to NSW dairy More details
Simon Hackett deploys 280kWh Redflow-based rural microgrid at his farm in northwest Tasmania More details