ZBM2 - where power meets intelligence, delivering sustained energy storage from the world’s smallest zinc-bromine flow battery, monitored and managed online.
Rewriting battery rules. 100% storage. 100% available
Redflow’s ZBM2 battery is a unique energy storage system that redefines your understanding of how a battery works. This scalable 10 kilowatt-hour (kWh) zinc-bromine flow battery delivers 100 per cent depth of discharge each day for a warranted 10 years – without causing any damage to the battery.
High performance. At high temperatures
The ZBM2 performs flawlessly in hot climatic conditions without external cooling. Unlike legacy battery chemistries, the performance, safety and operational lifetime of the ZBM2 zinc-bromine flow battery is unaffected by ambient temperatures as hot as 50°C (122°F).
10 kWh capacity. From Day One to Year 10
The ZBM2 delivers 10 kWh of sustained energy storage every day, backed by Redflow’s 10-year warranty. ZBM2 zinc-bromine flow batteries provide 100 per cent of their stored energy, with no loss of storage capacity – for a decade!
Standby for years. Start in seconds
The ZBM2 zinc-bromine flow battery can be stored at any state of charge – from full to empty – for weeks, months or even years. When you need power, the ZBM2 starts within 30 seconds, ready to deliver 100 per cent of its stored energy.
Scalable storage. From one to dozens
The ZBM2 zinc-bromine flow battery is designed to work on its own and can also scale to work as part of a much larger energy storage system, with as many batteries as you require. ZBM2s are easy to deploy in scalable parallel clusters for high availability, high scale deployments at the largest sites.
Internet-ready. For easy remote access
The ZBM2 battery management system (BMS) captures performance data in real-time to enable 24/7 remote monitoring. Monitor and manage your ZBM2 batteries from your computer or mobile phone, using easy web-based notifications and controls.
Environment-friendly battery. Fully recyclable
The ZBM2 zinc-bromine flow battery is made from easily recycled or reused components. At its end of life, the battery’s zinc bromide electrolyte solution can be purified and used for new batteries.
Safe energy storage. Wherever you need it
ZBM2s are intrinsically safe devices, even when used in the most demanding locations. The temperature-tolerant zinc-bromine flow battery contains an inherently non-flammable electrolyte solution, with a design that means there’s no chance of ‘thermal runaway’.
Sustained storage. 10-year warranty
Redflow’s ZBM2 zinc-bromine flow battery delivers 10 kWh of energy storage, with 100 per cent depth of discharge, on a daily basis for a warranted battery lifetime of 10 years or 36,500 kWh energy throughput – whichever comes first.
Simple. One-step charging
Using 100 per cent of its 10 kWh energy storage capacity, Redflow’s ZBM2 zinc-bromine flow battery delivers a constant power supply, due to a flat voltage curve and simple one-stage charge profile.
Redflow. Redefines the battery
Redflow’s zinc-bromine flow battery redefines your understanding of how a battery works. With 100 per cent depth of discharge daily, the ZBM2 delivers a sustained 10kWh of energy storage capacity throughout its operating life.
ZBM2 Technical Specifications
- 48 Volt DC nominal batteries (typical operating range 40-60V)
- Maximum 10kWh energy output per daily cycle
- No reserved battery capacity requirement – full 10kWh cycle depth available
- 845 L x 823 H x 400 W (mm)
- 33 L x 32 H x 16 W (in)
- 240 kg (530 lb) with electrolyte
- 90 kg (198 lb) without electrolyte
- 100 L (26Gal)
- 80% DC-DC Max
Internal (electrolyte) operating temperature
- Operating electrolyte temperature range of 15°C to 50°C (59°F to 122°F), ZBM2 can typically operate at ambient temperatures outside this range for extended periodsE
- MODBUS RS485
Safety data sheet
- DG Class 8 for electrolyte
- 3kW (5kW peak)
- 3kW continuous: current up to 75A (40V disconnection point) *1
- 5kW duration depending on the State of Charge (SOC): current up to 125A (40V disconnection point) *1, 2
Regulatory compliance marks
- CE and RCM
- 36,500 kWh of energy delivered or 10 years (whichever comes first) *3
- No cycle depth limitations – battery performance and lifetime is not sensitive to cycle depth
* 1 Values reported for ZBM2 at 100% state of health (SOH) and room temperature
* 2 Redflow internal testing shows a 5kW supply for approximately 45 minutes before disconnection, for a ZBM2 starting at 100% state of charge (SOC)
* 3 See full warranty document for details, Terms and Conditions apply
ZBM2 energy storage: More resources
Find a ZBM2 system integrator: ZBM2 integrators directory
Customer case study: Bosco Printed Circuits – A ZBM2 case study in complex energy system optimisation
Customer case study: Hackett house powers through SA blackout
Customer case study: Redflow telco BTS case study from Latin America
About Redflow’s ZBM2 battery: ZBM2 datasheet
How a ZBM2 battery works: ZBM2 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Installing a ZBM2: ZBM installation page
Deploying ZBM2s in Large-Scale Batteries: Learn about Redflow’s Large Scale Battery reference platform.